Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Accidental Alpha Matriarch

Accidental Alpha Matriarch - this is how I'm thinking of myself in my friend group now. At a bachelorette party last year of about 12 girls, I was the only married one. This year, on a similar trip, I will be (as far as I know), the only pregnant one.

1


I'm 28, so not crazy young, but definitely ahead of the curve for the overeducated white-collar East Coast circle I'm in. The main problem with this is we don't have a lot of money saved. No down payment for a house, a 10 year old car that we share (that now will probably not be replaced by a Tesla), and my husband is just now thinking that he should move on from his flat-salaried non-profit gig.

But in other ways, doing this while I'm still young enough to heal & deal with sleep deprivation is convenient. Having both grandmas in their 50s, fit and ready to help is great. Most of our friends & 4 of our 5 siblings have no kids yet, so our little one will be spoiled and easy to find a sitter for. I expect a lot of help and attention, and then when it's someone else's turn, I'll be able to help in a different kind of way. I've already become a go-to resource for wedding planning, and it's cool to think I'll reprise my big sister role in this way.

Plus, when this kid goes off to college, I'll be 46, and he'll be 50 - still young enough to enjoy ourselves while our friends are suffering through the school days.

No comments:

Post a Comment